To say Harlem Loves had a pretty sketchy 2013 may be putting it lightly. I can only apologise for the absence. I am sorry but admittedly also quite happy. I’ve learned a great deal in the process which means some interesting things for 2014 and beyond.
Despite an optimistic relaunch last year and a heart full of good intention I had struggled to reconcile the growing distance felt between the Harlem Loves blog of 2008 and Harlem, the person, of 2013. Whilst I had made some observations why, I don’t think I had a clear understanding of the problem.
I had thought the issue was a functional one, hence a not very helpful blog makeover taking place early last year. Instead, the issue turned out to be a very personal one, which I only discovered after abruptly taking a break from all social media. No blog. No Twitter. No Facebook. No Instagram. Nothing. It was awesome.
In the end I discovered three very important things:
- I still love blogging!
- I don’t enjoy blogging about the themes I used to blog about.
- I need to blog about what really matters to me now and not what mattered to me in 2008.
During my blogging hiatus I realised there were so many things I wanted to share but they just weren’t necessarily the same things I had been used to posting on Harlem Loves.
So to make it clear, Harlem Loves is changing. I understand these changes may not be everyone’s cup of tea, in which case I thank you for your love and support thus far. For those of you who’d like to stick around here’s what you can expect:
- More posts about life from a Christian perspective. To have a blog about the many things Harlem Loves and not include more about the true love of my life has been a huge mistake on my part. God has held my life together in unquantifiable, miraculous and wonderful ways and I wouldn’t be true to myself if I didn’t talk about it.
- More posts about beauty, health, food and fitness. In a bid to be healthier in all areas I’ve developed a real interest in nutrition, healthy eating and fitness all of which I’d love to get your thoughts, feelings and comments on.
- Last but not least, more reviews on good music, old movies and other things for us to get happy about.
So that’s it. Thankfully I can say I feel at home again with this new direction. I feel excited about blogging again, with blog topics tumbling out of my brain faster than my fingers can type.
So if you don’t mind I’d like to welcome you to Harlem Loves:
The evolving inspirations, observations, discoveries and delights of a woman in pursuit of the abundant life.
Hope you enjoy x